Thursday, September 12, 2013

dirty is the new black

I've always had oily hair so not washing it daily was never an option. The idea of going just one day without washing my hair made me cringe. But when dirty hair became something I could no longer ignore, I started doing some research. I kept trying to talk myself out of it but eventually I bit the bullet. Donning a shower cap, I took my first shower without touching my hair. Afterwards, I still felt dirty because my hair wasn't wet and freshly cleaned but it wasn't long before I realized this was completely mental. After I brushed it, dry shampooed it and styled it, I felt clean and pumped. My once lifeless hair had volume and gave me instant confidence. It's been a long road to discovering the perfect dry shampoo so I'll save you the time and trouble and share my experiences with you. Aside from the last product being the best, the rest are in no particular order. 

Pros: Inexpensive, easily found at any drugstore.
Cons: It made my hair look dirtier.
Repurchase? No.
I should disclose that this was the first dry shampoo I had ever tried so this might be my own fault. I should really give it another go before saying I wouldn't use it again but I'm too afraid to take that gamble.

Pros: Smells clean & fresh; non-floraly.
Cons:
Repurchase? No.
I've heard about this brand via YouTubers but I've never actually seen it in the store so I'm not sure how easy it is to find (I received mine in an Ipsy bag).

 Pros: Doesn't too white on hair.
Cons: Strong scent, difficult to work in residue.
Repurchase? Yes.
This is your basic dry shampoo. There is really nothing special about it but nothing really deterring me from buying it again, either. Unlike some other brands, the white spray doesn't show too much on your hair when applied but what little there is, is more difficult than others to work into your hair.
Pros: Product comes out brown.
Cons: Expensive, disgusting odor.
Repurchase? NO.
This is what I suppose is a high-end dry shampoo but the bottle I received had an extreme odor that I was not expecting, nor was it pleasant. I really hope that it was just a bad bottle because at $25 it should smell incredible.
Pros: Offered in several pleasant scents, works into hair easily.
Cons: Shows very white when product is applied, runs out quickly.
Repurchase? YES.
Ever since I started using dry shampoos, I've wanted to use Batiste because every beauty blogger I follow raves about how great it is. One in particular mentioned always being able to find it at TJMaxx and that's exactly where I get it now. It's a couple dollars cheaper at TJMaxx than it is at Ulta but I think Ulta offers buy one get one 50% off from time to time so weigh your options. Pretty much all of the scents are nice, obviously I like some better than others but I don't hate any of them. My only issues, albeit decent issues, with this product are that I run through them SO FAST. That might be my fault, though. I tend to go heavy with it. Also, it shows a lot of white BUT it does work in better than others. These are not deal breakers for me, I still love Batiste!
And now, the best for last! ....
Pros: No white residue. None!
Cons: Runs out quickly (might just be me though), brown shows on hands if you apply/touch too much.
Repurchase? YES!
Just when I thought the original Batiste couldn't get any better, I found it in brunette! My main issue was how much white showed on my brown hair but those problems are gone now that I use this brown one. This particular one is more expensive at Ulta and alike but it's the same price as the others at TJMaxx for $5.99! Blonde? Don't fret, yours can be found right here. I assume it comes in some shade of yellow but I can't be sure since I've never used it. Note, there are always more brown ones than blonde at TJMaxx which is fair because blondes can use the regular "white formula" (I just made that up) without any issues.

What's your favorite dry shampoo?!
Follow me on Twitter Instagram
View this blog post on Lucky Magazine Community! 

No comments:

Post a Comment