Saturday, October 08, 2011

On My Shoulder


Burberry Grainy Leather Tote
     My favorite accessory has always been the handbag. I’ve felt like no matter what I’m wearing - it makes all the difference. I could be wearing sweats but as long as I’m donning my fave purse, I feel like a superstar. I’ve been crooning around trying to find an affordable addition to my fall wardrobe. It’s ironic that I mention “affordable” because the handbag that I’ve fallen in love with is anything but. I won’t allow myself to meet it in person for fear I might succumb to its beauty and take it home with me via four different credit cards. Because let’s be honest, I am in no position to spend $1,395.00 on a purse or anything for that matter unless my “life” depends on it. I’m a sucker for plush leathers and compartments. I live to be organized and this bag allows me to do just so. The subtle signature plaid lining is also so luxe. I used to limit myself to small and medium sized purses but I’ve recently given in to my inner Mary Poppins. I have a subconscious need to stow my entire life on my shoulder. I hate being ill prepared and if I have everything I could ever possibly need, I’m a happy camper.
    Another bag I’ve been admiring, both in stores and on the arm of every woman, is the classic Longchamp Le Pliage nylon tote. Let me just preface that while I am very cheap, I hate the idea of knockoffs. I can spot a fake Fendi or Coach bag from a mile away and I wouldn’t be caught dead with one. But. Yes, here comes the “but.” I can’t justify spending over a hundred dollars on a plastic bag and the details are so minor that who could tell? So, I convinced myself it would just be a “test run” to make sure I really like the bag before I spent the money on it (knowing well I wouldn’t spend the money if the fake sufficed but I had to manipulate myself into buying it). I made my way into Chinatown with my boyfriend to the corner of Broadway and Canal Street. As soon as we got off the train, we were hounded. I guess it was obvious why we were there. I had hoped I’d be able to find it, even pulling up a picture of it on my Blackberry to avoid any language barrier trouble. The first shop we got to, there it was hanging on the wall outside. I’m not that familiar with the available sizes that the original comes in but the knockoffs came in way too many to choose from. And if there’s anything I can’t handle - it’s too many options. I ended up getting the traditional black tote with brown flap in what they called “small” but I believe Longchamp would call it medium. I did feel a little guilty? ashamed? wrong? buying this bag - that I almost didn’t buy it. But the price could not be beat - fifteen dollars versus $125 sounds good to me any day. I swallowed my pride and walked out with my new purchase. So far, it’s living up to its standards and I can’t tell the difference between it from an authentic one aside from the zipper pull and logo on the flap. I mean, it’s plastic. We’re not talking leather here. Needless to say, I think I’m going to stick with this one for a while. Maybe I won’t need the real one.

No comments:

Post a Comment