Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday Mourning // Pumpkin Spice Cookies!

     This past weekend was fantastic. I had some free time on Saturday and have been anxious to try out the Pumpkin Spice cookie mix that I bought recently. My sister had told me about it last year but never found it. I wanted to add a little something to the cookies and since I love experimenting with baking, I thought I’d try something new out. What better to top pumpkin cookies than candy corn! After doing some research online, I threw together this recipe for candy corn icing.

Ingredients
½ cup softened butter
1 cup candy corn
4 cup confectioners’ sugar
Dash of pure vanilla
⅓ cup of cream or whole milk

Directions
In a small microwave safe bowl, add a tablespoon of water to candy corn and microwave for 10-15 second intervals, mixing constantly (it will become very sticky and solidifies quickly) until it’s melted to a liquid.

In a large bowl, mix half the sugar, butter, milk, and melted candy corn. Add the rest of the sugar until desired consistency is met. Add just a drop or two of vanilla. If the icing hardens a little before you’re ready to use it, just turn on the mixer and it will bring it back to that liquid consistency.

After your cookies have cooled, add just a drizzle of the icing to the middle of the cookie as it will pool up and might even drip down the sides (paper towels under the cooling racks is not a bad idea). Before the icing dries, add a candy corn or two, depending on the size of your cookies.

et voilà!
Wait for the icing to harden and they’re ready to enjoy!

I’m still working on the measurements. I ended up making about twice as much icing than I needed for the two dozen cookies I made but  froze the rest. I plan on making more for Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment